The Kitchn: Sicilian ice cream sandwiches are the best summer time deal with | Meals and Cooking3 min read
My husband and I noticed honeymooning in Sicily in the midst of July was a daring transfer as quickly as we noticed the comb fires popping up on the freeway as we made our technique to the lodge from the airport. Steamy was an understatement. With most days simply breaking the 100 F mark, we spent our afternoons lounging poolside sipping a spritz in between glasses of ice water and all of a sudden having no excuse to not eat all the gelato. So, in truth, it was a dream of a visit.
One in every of my favourite treats was gelato con brioche. This Sicilian ice cream sandwich is solely a cut up brioche bun along with your alternative of creamy gelato. One of the best half? It’s typically eaten for breakfast within the hottest months of summer time — although, actually, it’s fairly great anytime of day. Buttery bread could look like a stunning automobile for an ice cream sandwich, however the tender bun is the proper counterpoint to gelato’s cooling richness. Make these to your subsequent cookout and I can assure they’ll be a success.
Select your brioche correctly
In Sicily, there’s a particular sort of brioche bun baked solely for gelato con brioche. It’s generously sized with a small hat, or tuppo, on prime. The tuppo is usually pulled off the highest of the bun, first, and loved with a little bit of the gelato earlier than digging into the total sandwich. Because you seemingly gained’t discover brioche col tuppo close to you, search for sturdy, spherical brioche buns that you just’d sometimes use for hamburgers at your native bakery or well-stocked grocery retailer. They need to be delicate and recent, however not too squishy. Toasting the cut up buns in butter not solely heightens their taste, but it surely additionally offers them a layer of safety in order that they don’t get soggy from the gelato.
Individuals are additionally studying…
As for the gelato, any favourite taste will do. In Sicily, pistachio is beloved, as is stracciatella, hazelnut, chocolate, and crema, which is a straightforward egg custard taste, just like vanilla with out the vanilla flavoring. No matter pints you pick, it’s onerous to go mistaken.
Sicilian Ice Cream Sandwich
- 2 pints gelato, comparable to pistachio, stracciatella, hazelnut, or a mix
- 6 brioche buns
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Flaky sea salt
1. Let 2 pints gelato sit at room temperature to melt barely. In the meantime, cut up 6 brioche buns and toast them.
2. Soften 1 tablespoon unsalted butter in a 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet (ideally forged iron) over medium warmth and swirl the pan so the underside is coated. Add 2 units of buns cut-side down and prepare dinner till toasted and golden-brown, 2 to three minutes.
3. Switch to a chopping board cut-side up and sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Repeat toasting the remaining buns in two extra batches, including 1 tablespoon unsalted butter to the pan earlier than every batch.
4. Let all of the toasted buns cool for five minutes. Prime every backside half of the brioche buns with 1/3 pint of gelato (about 2 scoops). Press the highest buns gently on prime to stick and serve instantly.
(Sheela Prakash is senior contributing meals editor for TheKitchn.com, a nationally identified weblog for individuals who love meals and residential cooking. Submit any feedback or inquiries to [email protected])